Winter storms are inevitable despite our best preparation efforts. What are the most common damages that winter storms cause to your Berlin, CT home?
The past few winters have been hit or miss. Some years we have been pummeled by feet of snow, other years have been relatively mild. However harsh or mild the winter season may be, we can always count on at least a handful of significant storms to deal with. Along with the snow we must clear from our driveways and the black ice we must be careful of on our streets and steps, these harsh winter storms can cause lasting damage to our homes and commercial properties.
Listed below are 2 of the most common types of Winter Storm damage as well as some money saving tips for each specific example...
1. Roof Damage
Roof damage is very probable in winter months. Roofs bear all the weight of snowfall and are constantly bombarded with wind and ice. Ice dams can potentially occur which lead to leaks and structural damage. Ice dams form when snow on the roof melts, runs to the edge of the roof, and then refreezes, forcing water back up under the roof. If you find leaks in your roof, be proactive and call SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain right away (860-826-5169).
- Immediately tack a tarp over the damaged area until qualified SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain technicians arrive on the scene.
- Remove snow on the roof as soon as possible to prevent new ice dams from causing damage.
- Look into getting better attic insulation to prevent ice dams in the future.
2. Gutter Damage
Ice dams can do damage to your home or commercial property’s gutter system as well as the roof. Ice dams build up on the edge of a roof and can pull gutters away from the roofline. Water that freezes inside gutters and downspouts can also cause significant damage to your gutter systems.
- Clean gutters before winter begins and remove ice dams as soon as you can.
- The materials that you choose for your gutter system are different costs. Research what material works best for you and your property.
- Install a preventive gutter screen system to avoid debris from clogging your gutters and downspouts.
In case of any of the problems listed above affect your home or commercial property, trust the team that's 'Faster to any disaster.’ We’re just a phone call away and will promptly deal with any damage that the New England winter may bring to your home or commercial property.
We’re ‘Here to Help!’