Recent Storm Damage Posts
How Vital Is Protective Equipment When Restoring Flood Damage?
Flooding restoration is no DIY project. SERVPRO trained and certified IICRC technicians are ready for the job 24/7 365 days a year.
SERVPRO Prioritizes Protection of Restorers and Occupants in New Britain Homes
Resolving the problems caused by a flooding incident can take time. The process might also pose some risks to the person doing restoration or the home’s occupants. Having the proper protective equipment not only ensures safety but also helps speed up the restoration work.
The protective equipment needed during flood damage restoration in New Britain is mostly the personal protective equipment worn by restorers. Containment materials might also be necessary to help prevent the spread of infectious wastes or biohazards such as raw sewage all over the property.
When preparing for cleanup and other flooding-related restoration tasks in New Britain properties, SERVPRO ensures there are sufficient protective resources, including:
- A range of PPE like rubber boots, respirators, bodysuits, and chemical resistant gloves
- Materials such as 8-mil plastic sheets to set up containment
- EPA-registered disinfectants
- Appropriate trash containers or bags
With the protective equipment, our SERVPRO technicians can wade into the flooded house immediately and complete some tasks such as moving some of the affected contents before they develop severe damages. Such response reduces the overall work needed to restore the property, thus improving turnaround time.
SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain helps residents deal with emergencies like flood damage conveniently. Call us at (860) 826-5169 for assistance.
Local New Britain Beer Challenges your Taste Buds
It will be exciting to see the community enjoying the beer at Alvarium!
Alvarium Beer in New Britain is sure to Please the Most Sophisticated Beer Drinkers
You don’t need to leave New Britain to enjoy a safe and pleasant time in a setting like no other. A visit to Alvarium reminds you of the town’s manufacturing origins and invites guests to view how beer is brewed locally. Fresh beer and cider are offered daily and feature flavors native to our city, such as wildflower honey and more exotic tones of caramel and cacao. If you are a fan of the beer company, you can find its product in selected stores throughout the region. A few things to remember as you visit-
- Masks are required
- There is no standing at the bar
- Each visit has a 90-minute limit due to reduced capacity
- Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis
At SERVPRO, we also try to preserve our local character by protecting the homes around us. Whenever there is flood damage, you can call our expert team to extract water and debris while treating your home for residual damage.
SERVPRO of Middletown/ New Britain is your local resource when water disasters arise. Call us at (860) 826-5169 and let us leave your home, “Like it never even happened.”
Enjoy the 35th Holiday on Main Street’s Magic of Middletown Celebration
SERVPRO provides flooding cleanup services to our Middletown neighbors
The holiday season is upon us, but for many, the celebrations do not begin until they have been to Main Street Middletown for the annual festivities.
Christmas is more than presents under the tree. For many of the residents here in Middletown, it is getting together with their friends and neighbors celebrating the season every weekend until Christmas morning. This year’s festivities begin with a virtual tree-lighting ceremony happening online on November 27th. The subsequent weekends until December 25th feature an array of fun and memorable events.
Our beautiful Main Street structures come to life with lights, holiday music, and other delightful decorations. Check out vendors setting up shop along the street, a gnome scavenger hunt for the whole family, a decorated car parade, and more. Experience the holidays with all of Middletown this year at the 35th annual Holiday on Main Street celebration.
When flooding rears its head after severe winter weather, you need efficient flood water removal for your Middletown home. Our SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain team is available 24/7 at (860) 826-5169.
What Are the Ways to Remove Water After a Flood in Middletown?
For 24/7 assistance after a flood, Contact SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain at (860) 826-5169.
SERVPRO Extracts Water from Your Flooded Home in Middletown Using Advanced Equipment
Recovering after a flood in Middletown is an overwhelming task. Once you recover from the initial shock, you may want to contact professionals for home restoration and water removal. Trained SERVPRO professionals remove floodwater using truck-mounted or portable extraction equipment. They make enough passes to extract the largest amount of water possible before using heavy-duty air movers and dehumidifiers to remove the remaining moisture.
Why is Floodwater Contaminated?
During Flood cleanup for your Middletown property, you should understand the different categories of water. Clean water (category 1) is water that comes out of a faucet or a non-contaminated plumbing leak. Gray water (category 2) is slightly contaminated, like water that comes out of a toilet without any solid matter or soapy dishwater. Blackwater (category 3) is contaminated water containing sewage or unknown organic matter. Floodwater fits into this category because it passes over the ground, potentially exposing it to various contaminants, before coming into your home.
What Precautions do SERVPRO Technicians Take When Removing Contaminated Water?
• Technicians wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when handling items contaminated by floodwater.
• Technicians dispose of collected blackwater in accordance with local regulations.
• Technicians are mindful of keeping residents safe during the restoration process.
How Do Technicians Find Hidden Pockets of Water?
• The SERVPRO flood restoration team extracts as much water as possible with portable extraction equipment, including wands that can fit into small spaces in your home.
• Technicians use moisture sensors and detection equipment to find hidden moisture. Some moisture sensors have probes to penetrate surfaces, so we do not have to cut into wall cavities unless necessary.
• Infrared camera imagery is useful in discovering possible damp voids within walls.
For 24/7 assistance after a flood, Contact SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain at (860) 826-5169. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster!
My Basement Flooded, How Can I Start Getting the Water Out?
SERVPRO is quick to get your flood damage under control. If you don’t act quickly, water damage in your home can escalate. Contact us right away.
SERVPRO Handles Flood Damage from Recent Storms to Quickly Remove Water from Your Middletown Basement.
Being the lowest point within your home, it is no wonder why a basement would be susceptible to water intrusion or flooding during a storm. Once this happens, you need to act quickly, yet careful to ensure everything gets handled safely. SERVPRO has skilled technicians who can assess the damage and work to remove water quickly and efficiently. We’re Faster To Any Size Disaster, so when you need us for your flooded basement, you can have a crew on-site in as little as four hours or less after you call.
What Happens if Water Sits Too Long?
When you have flood damage in Middletown, the water standing in your basement could harbor many contaminants. The longer the water stays, the more the damage sets in. Mold also colonizes and spreads within 24 hours after the initial water incident. However, with rapid response from our Green Fleet, you can ensure your basement and belongings get the attention they need.
Some of the ways that SERVPRO gets your home back to preloss condition includes:
- The use of proprietary products and EPA-registered cleaning agents
- Rapid water removal to limit the number of secondary water issues and structural damage
- Industrial strength dehumidifiers and drying tools to remove moisture and bring down the relative humidity in the air
- After moisture levels are back to normal, SERVPRO cleans, sanitizes, and treats the area using powerful anti-microbial agents to inhibit mold growth
- Every step of the process is very carefully documented, and we are happy to work with your insurance provider to facilitate prompt execution of your claim
When you call SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain for help with flood damage, we take the burden off of your shoulders. We are always available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling (860) 826-5169.
Learn more about Middletown.
Does My Middleton Home Need Decontamination After A Flood?
“Like it never even happened.”
If Your Middleton Home Is Hit by Storm Damage and Flooding SERVPRO’s Trained Biohazard Recovery Team Can Handle the Cleanup
Middleton is subject to flash flooding and other storm problems that can put homes at risk. One of the concerns with flooding from storm waters is "black water." Blackwater is contaminated water and needs special treatment.
Why is Black Water a Health Risk?
When any business or home in Middleton experiences flood damage from storms, black or dirty, water is a serious concern. Flash flood waters flow down city streets, over lands, and into homes. The water carries anything in its path, including dirt, debris, chemical, fertilizers, sewage, and things like bacteria. Once the flooding has stopped, the standing water left inside a home can quickly become a breeding ground for bacteria and other microorganisms.
How Do You Handle the Cleanup?
SERVPRO has Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certified technicians who are trained to deal with biohazard situations such as black water. They also have the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) and the American Bio-Recovery Association (ABRA) certification. They will use the proper PPE equipment when cleaning up and provide the sanitization and disinfecting required. One of the products we use is SERVPROXIDE. It is:
• A proprietary hospital-grade disinfectant registered with the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
• A stabilized chlorine dioxide-based antimicrobial
• Has the EPA's lowest toxicity rating
• Fragrant free
Flash flooding is nothing to take lightly. The contaminants that come into your home with storm damage can be deadly to you and your family. Ensure your home is safe from all the nasties that can cause health issues by contacting SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain at (860) 826-5169. We are licensed and bonded. We’re Faster to Any Size Disaster!
How Can I Clean Up After Flash Flooding in My Middletown House?
Warmer weather brings storms and flash flooding. Should water invade your home, call SERVPRO!
SERVPRO can help you to dry, clean, and disinfect your home after destructive flooding after severe weather conditions
Flash flooding in Middletown can be a considerable challenge when water penetrates the exterior of your home to collect in areas like the basement, crawlspace, or first floor of the residence. Along with substantial standing water, other factors can make flooding a situation best left to the experienced professionals of our SERVPRO team.
With storm flood damage to Middletown homes, there are many stages to restore and recover the entire affected area. Because of how quickly our SERVPRO professionals can respond to storm loss emergencies, you are not waiting for days for vital efforts like extraction, drying, and disinfection. From the time that our professionals arrive, we can begin vital mitigation efforts to lessen the impact of debilitating floodwater.
How Destructive is Flash Flooding to Homes?
Natural flooding, in general, can have severe consequences for exposed structural elements, contents, and occupants of a damaged house. With the pace and destructive power of flash flooding, occupants of the structure have little time to react to changing conditions before it is no longer safe for them to remain in the house. Understanding what must occur to recover this damaged property falls into several categories of tasks beginning as soon as our professionals reach your home. Some of the hazards present with flash flooding include:
Debris and Solids – debris in the intruding water can be hazardous to the house for many reasons. Without adequate extraction and cleaning beginning right away, many floors and wall systems throughout the structure can become exposed to mud, dirt, debris, silt, and many other solids.
- Standing Water – Standing water can be threatening to your property, primarily because of the damage that it can do when water absorbs into exposed structural elements or exposure to live electrical currents.
- Structural Damages – While absorption can lead to structural deterioration, the force of flash flooding alone can damage siding, plywood, drywall, and other materials in the path of invading water.
- Contamination - All-natural flooding scenarios have to get treated as though contaminants exist, even though there are no fast and simple ways of determining what all potential health hazards could exist. Drying up the structure can pave the way for intricate cleaning and disinfection with wipe cleaning practices and ULV foggers.
What Steps Need to be Taken Right Away After Flooding?
Between emergency services and mitigation, some steps must immediately get taken if you intend to preserve exposed structural elements, contents, or other damaged areas. The faster that these practices can get implemented, the less devastating and costly the later restoration becomes. Addressing the many threats of natural flooding involves efficient practices such as:
- Extraction – removing standing water in Middletown is often one of the first things that our SERVPRO technicians must do when responding to a flood loss. Surface water can penetrate materials quickly, making it a challenge to dry or perform debris removal in affected areas of the house until pooling has gotten addressed.
- Muck-Out – Debris removal and muck-out services are a way to limit the exposure of technicians and occupants of the house to the potential contaminants that could have gotten carried into the structure. Shoveling and wet vacuuming can reduce this layer of rubbish to reduce concentrations of bacteria or other hazards.
- Content Management – Protecting what matters most means having professionals to care for your personal belongings with the same experience and consideration that they provide your house. With on and off-site recovery options, we can restore many of the exposed belongings to their original conditions.
- Air and Surface Cleaning – Emergency services and early mitigation often include cleaning the environment as best as possible. Potential contaminants exist in a workspace both on surfaces and in the air, so we need HEPA filtration equipment to reduce airborne microbes and potent chemical solvents and antibacterial products for wipe cleaning surfaces.
Are There Trained Professionals to Handle Contamination?
Our SERVPRO team can handle not only the extraction and drying of your home following a flooding incident but also the decontamination and cleaning. Because natural flooding is a blackwater incident, meaning that it can contain harmful and hazardous contaminants, we utilize our highly trained biohazard recovery professionals to oversee the safe cleaning of your home to make it safe and sanitary. These technicians are among the most well-trained in our roster, acquiring education and certification from:
- Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC)
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA)
- American Bio Recovery Association (ABRA)
Flash flooding can be overwhelming and destructive for your home, but our SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain team can help. Contact us today at (860) 826-5169.
We Act Fast In Middletown After A Flood
We have the expertise, equipment and experience to handle your flood damage restoration services. We are available 24/7 to prevent further damage.
Removing Flood Damage from a Middletown Basement
Flooding is the most common natural disaster that occurs in the US today, and there is no part of the country that has not, at some point, experienced flooding. Basements, which are already prone to water damage, are especially vulnerable to flooding due to the massive amounts of water involved in ground floods, flash flooding, and related disasters.
If your property in Middleton requires flood damage cleanup, SERVPRO's emergency-response team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to return your home to a preloss condition. Technicians receive extensive training in flood damage safety, odor removal, mold remediation, and biohazard cleanup. No matter what floodwaters bring into your home, these restoration pros can clean the damage and sanitize your basement. This SERVPRO also offers residential contracting services for homeowners (license #HIC.0652559).
Precautions to Take After Flooding
- Extract water if it is safe to do so. If you find sewage or other contaminants in water, do not try to remove this on your own. Call a mitigation crew to take care of these flood damages. Sump pump systems, drains, wet/dry vacs, and mops can aid in removing smaller water damages.
- Check your gutters. Clogged gutters, drains, and downspouts are a common cause of basement floods, so keeping them clean is essential to prevent water from coming into your home.
- Freeze water-damaged documents. Drying these materials in the same way you would other items can warp and damage them further.
- Elevate items. Use water-resistant shelving and containers for personal effects and cinder blocks for furniture.
SERVPRO Removes Flood Damage Odors
This team's odor control technicians (OCTs) can use a variety of deodorizing techniques to address different odor sources in your basement. Disinfection with EPA-registered biocides is essential to odor removal. Ultra-low volume fogging can saturate surfaces with water- or solvent-based deodorizers that are highly effective at eliminating odor-causing particles. If mold has developed in your basement from floodwaters, HEPA-filter air scrubbers can significantly improve indoor air quality and prevent the spread of mold spores.
SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain saves homes by being Faster to Any Size Disaster. Call (860) 826-5169 for emergency-response service that starts within hours of your initial contact.
See more about Middletown.
Local Middletown Flood Damage Remediation Services
Call our team at SERVPRO, we will get the job done right.
Preventing Water Damage in your Middletown Home after a Storm
Heavy rainstorms can lead to flood damage in your Middletown home through various ways of entry. A severe enough storm, with significant wind speeds, could topple a tree on top of your home. Or, a window that was accidentally left often can be the perfect means of entrance. No matter how the water gets inside your home, you must quickly respond to it to prevent further damages.
Imagine a scenario when your home suffers flood damage in Middletown. A heavy rainstorm and a weak spot in your roof are a combination that can lead to unfortunate outcomes for your home. As you slept through the night, the rain beat down on your roof. However, over your sitting room, your roof allowed flood waters to leak through and cause damage.
Following gravity, the water trickled down through the attic from the roof. It progressed to the ceiling of the sitting room and then down the back wall, causing stains and leaving damage. Upon waking up and finding many puddles of water in the room and a sodden carpet, it would be evident that you need professional help.
Here at SERVPRO, we're committed to helping you as fast as we can. After speaking with you about your problem, we can gather a talented team of highly certified flood damage remediation experts. We always make it our goal to arrive at your home as quickly as we possibly can after receiving your call. However, after any storm, there could be roadblocks such as fallen trees or floods.
Once SERVPRO arrives, we could begin to work immediately. We could start with an investigation and use devices, such as thermal imaging cameras, to map out all of the problem areas of your sitting room. After our brief investigation, we could remove stagnant water from your carpets using extraction wands and rovers, as well as wet/dry vacuums. With our knowledge of the room, and where remediation is needed, we can help you avoid extra expenses and the growth of mold damage. SERVPRO is always serious about helping you.
If you ever find yourself needing professional flood damage remediation services, call right away. Get in contact with SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain by calling (860) 826-5169. We're always prepared to help.
Learn more about Middletown.
High Water Flooding in New Britain Calls for Credible, Professional Cleanup and Restoration--SERVPRO Is Ready to Help!
Flood Insurance and SERVPRO -- What Is Needed By New Britain Homeowners after a Storm
Accountability and Transparency in New Britain's Professional Flood Damage Restoration Services
Flood Damage New Britain
In a flood situation, a great many of your contents and personal items can be lifted or strewn across the structure. You may also find floating debris, damaged light furniture, or fittings. These scenarios are invariably tough to face as a homeowner, making you feel overwhelmed. While it is true that there is a seismic task ahead to restore your home, it is not unmanageable. You should contact your insurance provider as soon as possible and contact us with notification of loss to begin your restoration journey.
There are several areas of difficulty concerning flood damage to your New Britain home. SERVPRO is here to ease the burden of a homeowner with a flooded property. First, you need to sign an authorization to perform services with our project manager or SMR sales and marketing rep to allow us to begin mitigating loss and restoring the damage. We record all information throughout the service to inform you of our work as well as to guarantee transparency and accountability.
We may ask you questions about pre-existing damage in the home, such as prior water incidents or microbial growth. We can also ask you about any valuable items that may need targeted restoration, such as jewelry or heirlooms. These items can often be restored later in the service using specialized cleaning machinery or chemicals. It is vital during this phase to communicate as much as possible with your technician.
With all the information in hand, our technicians can give you the correct safety advice as well as the details of our service or predicted outcomes. Here at SERVPRO, we always provide a working timeframe to give customers an idea of the task at hand and to plan their lives accordingly. Some flooded properties can take several weeks to recover, although you may be able to use many areas of the house while service is underway. A copy of restoration documentation can be given to you as well as passed onto your insurance provider for a stress-free claim.
Organization is essential to overcoming flood scenarios. For a professional, accountable service, contact SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain at (860) 826-5169.
Is your Business Prepared for Potential Winter Storm Damage in Cromwell?
Preparing Your Business for Winter Storms in Advance Can Prevent Costly Emergencies
All too often, winter storms can strike without warning. As property owners, it is easy to keep pushing off maintenance and winter preparation for one more week, one more day, and then WHOOSH, all of a sudden, the snow and ice arrive in towns like Durham, CT in full force.
It may seem tedious at first, but preparing your properties for winter is the best way to avoid winter-related damage and disaster. Being proactive (before disaster strikes) can save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. Taking precautionary measures is the best way to ensure that your Cromwell, CT property stays safe and secure throughout the long New England winter season.
Listed below are some important preparatory steps you can take to avoid property-related disasters:
Check your HVAC system:
Most commercial property owners agree that one of the primary steps to take for winter preparedness is to have your HVAC systems checked. Checking your HVACs throughout the year is optimal practice, but the winter especially. Fix any issues and make sure your systems are running efficiently before the heart of winter.
Insulate water pipes:
Dealing with burst pipes is a nightmare. Throw in snow and ice, and the problem gets infinitely worse. Water damage (leaking roofs, flooded basements, and mold) can be both expensive and destructive. Thus, winterizing your water pipes and irrigation system is of the utmost importance. Be sure to hire a professional to conduct an inspection of all plumbing systems your commercial property, such as:
- fire sprinkler systems
- restroom plumbing
- exposed pipes
Be sure to properly insulate all exposed pipes and shut off all water systems that are not being used during the winter.
Get rid of snow & ice:
Ensure that your property is ice-free. Clean and salt all parking lots, sidewalks, stairs, and entrances (in and around your property). Keeping tenants and guests safe from black ice and slippery spots is a must!
All of the steps needed to prepare your property for winter can require and investment of time and money. However, in the long run, taking these precautions is the best course of action. All too often, we wait until problems are knocking at our door. Why wait to react to an emergency when you can be proactive and avoid it altogether?
Even with astute planning, winter can bring unwanted gifts to home and property owners. SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain is locally owned and on 24-hour emergency call. In case of leaking roofs, basement flooding, ice damage, water damage and whatever else winter may throw at you, our highly trained restoration technicians will have your property back to pre-damage condition and get you back back in business during the holiday season.
Our SERVPRO Team is "Faster to any disaster" and just a phone call away! Call 860-826-5169.
We are "Here to Help!"
How Storm Damage to the Exterior of Your Home Brings Water Inside Your Middletown Home
Damaged shingles can cause water to leak into your home. Inspect your roof often,
Weathering on a Home in Middletown Might Look Rustic but Underlying Problems need Restoration
Some of the older homes in Middletown exhibit a rustic facade. While cozy-looking to many people, such an appearance can signal damage to the inside of exterior walls. Other parts of the residence might also contain damaged materials. SERVPRO's technicians know how to locate such damaged places, and our building crew assists us with many of our restoration projects.
Wooden exteriors on your home or garage should protect the interior of your Middletown property from storms and other harsh weather. When rain or snow get inside, the water can ruin the insulation and any other elements of your exterior wall's construction. Any moisture inside wooden shingles or trim can freeze during cold snaps and push or warp these exterior items.
Wherever the roof lets in water, moisture can trickle down, which can happen inside walls, or dripping down along visible portions. Sometimes the water seeps into and through ceilings and upper walls. We work with different qualified professionals to repair the roof and siding so we can get the interior components dry again. Until the exterior shell of your home keeps out precipitation, damage can return with every storm that passes through the area.
We use infrared technology to locate still-damp areas in your walls and ceilings. When exterior walls hold moisture, they can produce cold spots in your home during the winter because the insulation becomes compromised. These under-insulated areas can also let heat into your house during the summer. Adding insulation can help lower your utility bills.
When ceilings show stains, drying the area, followed by primer and then paint, can make the room seem like new. We have the equipment to make the entire process happen quickly and very efficiently. The trim in a room, such as chair rails or baseboards, might also need cleaned up and re-nailed to ensure a tidy look.
While nailing a few shingles or sections of siding back into place, if caught early enough, can prevent any damage, catching them in time rarely happens. Most homeowners do not have the equipment needed to locate every out-of-place item. Obvious ones, however, can lead to the discovery of adjacent ones threatening to come loose.
However, SERVPRO is always here to help you protect your property, so you do not need to worry about damage becoming worse or spreading. Our building services crew is licensed under Residential Contractor License # HIC.0652559 and can perform these tasks for you. Roofing is a dangerous job because it requires handling weighty items on a ladder.
SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain provides skilled restoration services for flood and storm-damaged homes in Cromwell and around Berlin. Call us at (860) 826-5169 when you want to protect your home from the effects of bad weather.
More about Middletown.
Our Technicians Are Ready 24/7 To Restore Your New Britain Kitchen After A Flood
Our team has the experience, expertise and equipment to restore your home after a flood. We act fast to prevent further damage.
What to Do When a Storm Causes Flood Damage in Your New Britain Kitchen
Severe storms can be frightening, but they can also cause flood damage to your New Britain home. In the case of your home, a thunderstorm rolled in with the change of season and brought heavy rain with it. The floodwaters entered your home through an open window, flooding your kitchen around the sink and counter toe-kicks.
Waking up to find a puddle in your New Britain kitchen, causing flood damage, is never a fun way to start your day. However, the quicker that you reach out for help, the better it can be for your home. Swiftly addressing any kind of water-based damage can prevent further damages from developing, such as mold damage. For this reason, and for the sake of being comfortable in your home, you should reach out for help right away.
Here at SERVPRO, we prioritize your schedule. Whenever you need us, night or day, weekend or weekday, it does not matter. Our technicians are available and ready to help.
We can arrive at your home within hours of your initial call, sporting our signature green vans or trucks. Our technicians always bring advanced industry-grade equipment to combat flood damage. Some devices that you may see include...
Using all of these devices simultaneously creates an environment that encourages excess moisture to evaporate. Flood drying mats are particularly useful for hardwood floors, which could bubble, crack, split, or swell with the introduction of excess moisture.
Our SERVPRO technicians can start by removing the excess water with our wet/dry vacuums and extractors. Because the floor was so close to your cabinets, we can go ahead and remove the toe-kicks and pull any water out from underneath. Furthermore, we could also use thermal imaging technology to check for any hidden pockets of water. Once we finish removing the excess water, we can set up any drying equipment as needed, to return the moisture levels in your home to an adequate amount.
If a sudden and intense storm brings flood damage to your home, never wait. Get in contact with SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain by phoning (860) 826-5169. No matter the time or day, we're ready to be there for you.
See more about New Britain.
Our Advanced Equipment Will Save Your Flood Damaged Home In New Britain
Our team is ready to provide quality restoration services throughout the Cromwell, Berlin, and Kensington areas, call today (860) 826-5169.
Flood Damage Equipment Used To Restore Your New Britain Home
The equipment used to perform flood damage restoration in your New Britain home has a significant part in the quality of the restoration you receive. Everything from vacuum cleaners to ozone machines, training to personality, all have a hand in providing excellent results.
It is essential for homeowners to learn everything about the type of flood damage affecting their New Britain property. You want to use skilled restoration technicians who are willing to answer any questions you might have to quell any concerns that come up during the restoration process. Knowing more about the type of equipment used can also be interesting.
SERVPRO technicians make sure that you understand what is happening in your home. We explain our services in detail and answer all of your questions before moving forward. Our equipment is essential to providing excellent results, even something as simple as our vacuum cleaners. We use lightweight vacuums designed with separate brush drive motor and vacuum motor that are perfect for dry, or embedded soil removal.
SERVPRO also uses portable and truck-mounted extraction units for cleaning carpets, upholstery, or removing standing water from your structure after a flood. With variable heat control, a separate solution tank & pump, vacuum, and waste recovery tank, our portable extractors hold up to 12 gallons of wastewater at a time. Out truck-mounted extractors and submersible sump pumps make removing copious amounts of water quicker and even more efficient than ever before.
SERVPRO’s drying technicians put dehumidifiers and air movers to work to remove unwanted moisture from your home. Dehumidifiers remove evaporated water from the air and provide a continuous supply of warm, dry air to the affected section, which speeds up the overall drying process. Air movers circulate the air produced by dehumidifiers throughout the structure and help enhance the evaporation process. Technicians strategically place this equipment to achieve the best possible results.
Contact our staff at SERVPRO of Middletown / New Britain to obtain full-service solutions and 24/hr emergency cleaning and restoration services that fit any situation that may occur on your property. Our team is ready to provide quality restoration services throughout the Cromwell, Berlin, and Kensington areas, call today (860) 826-5169.
For more about New Britain click here.
Winter storms are inevitable despite our best preparation efforts. What are the most common damages that winter storms cause to your Berlin, CT home?
The past few winters have been hit or miss. Some years we have been pummeled by feet of snow, other years have been relatively mild. However harsh or mild the winter season may be, we can always count on at least a handful of significant storms to deal with. Along with the snow we must clear from our driveways and the black ice we must be careful of on our streets and steps, these harsh winter storms can cause lasting damage to our homes and commercial properties.
Listed below are 2 of the most common types of Winter Storm damage as well as some money saving tips for each specific example...
1. Roof Damage
Roof damage is very probable in winter months. Roofs bear all the weight of snowfall and are constantly bombarded with wind and ice. Ice dams can potentially occur which lead to leaks and structural damage. Ice dams form when snow on the roof melts, runs to the edge of the roof, and then refreezes, forcing water back up under the roof. If you find leaks in your roof, be proactive and call SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain right away (860-826-5169).
- Immediately tack a tarp over the damaged area until qualified SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain technicians arrive on the scene.
- Remove snow on the roof as soon as possible to prevent new ice dams from causing damage.
- Look into getting better attic insulation to prevent ice dams in the future.
2. Gutter Damage
Ice dams can do damage to your home or commercial property’s gutter system as well as the roof. Ice dams build up on the edge of a roof and can pull gutters away from the roofline. Water that freezes inside gutters and downspouts can also cause significant damage to your gutter systems.
- Clean gutters before winter begins and remove ice dams as soon as you can.
- The materials that you choose for your gutter system are different costs. Research what material works best for you and your property.
- Install a preventive gutter screen system to avoid debris from clogging your gutters and downspouts.
In case of any of the problems listed above affect your home or commercial property, trust the team that's 'Faster to any disaster.’ We’re just a phone call away and will promptly deal with any damage that the New England winter may bring to your home or commercial property.
We’re ‘Here to Help!’
Your Haddam home has suffered fire damage. What does SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain’s remediation process look like?
The last handful of blog posts have focused on household and commercial problems that occur frequently in the winter. A couple of posts gave helpful tips and advice about preparing your homes and commercial properties for winter, one went in depth about the causes of winter fires and the some simple, yet potentially life-saving, steps you can take to prevent any such disaster from ruining your holiday cheer. What if the worst happens and a fire damages your property? Let’s go more in depth about the process: What do you do to remediate fire damage to your home or commercial property?
- Create an escape route - Before any disaster strikes your home or property, it is best practice to have a prepared escape route and emergency plan. Creating a plan in advance and going over it with your family, tenants, and or employees will ensure that in case of an emergency, everyone will know what to do and where to go.
- Make sure you and your family are safe - The first and most important step is self-explanatory. Make sure you and your family are safe. Any home that has suffered fire damage contains airborne toxins, smoke, and quite possibly structural damage that could pose serious risks. Make sure that you assess the damage and potential risk before returning to your home.
- Call SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain’s highly trained fire restoration technicians – Our SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain professionals are on call 24/7 and are ready to remediate any fire damage your property has sustained. After the fire trucks have left the premises (if they were required) your Middletown home and belongings will likely have suffered fire damage, smoke damage, and more likely than not, water damage from the firefighting efforts. SERVPRO technicians are equipped for fire, water, smoke, and mold cleanup and restoration. Our technicians have participated in extensive training of odor removal and deep cleaning of upholstery and carpet which are some of the most problematic effects of a fire.
In the event of a tragedy, the last thing families or property owners want to think about is the process of rebuilding. Working with most insurance companies, SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain will make sure that you and your loved ones are treated with respect, courtesy, and empathy. Let us handle the dirty work and get your property back to pre-fire condition as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Stay on top of the winter season and its added threat of fires. Call 860-826-5169 and talk to our staff about your damage restoration needs!
We're always 'Here to Help!'
The Calm Before The Storm
Hurricane season is here until the beginning of December. Being prepared during the calm period can extend great benefits. Though, there's no such thing as being too prepared for a natural disaster, we've compiled a list of things you might consider while getting ahead of a Hurricane:
- GPS (If told to evacuate)
- Evacuation plan
- Cell phone with names/numbers of family, friends & Emergency contacts
- Roadside Emergency Kit
- Full tank of gas in your car
- Access to local news/radio outlets
- Flashlights & batteries/Lamps
- First Aid Kit
- Plenty of drinking water
- Disposable plates, cups & eating utensils
- Plenty of non-perishable food
Keep in mind that there are different Categories of Hurricanes and knowing them can be helpful when it comes to damage to your home/business as it relates to insurance coverage. Should your property suffer damage due to a Hurricane do not hesitate to contact our office in Middletown, CT to speak with one of our representatives. (860-826-5169)
We're always 'Here to Help!'
Are you able to identify the source of water intrusion to your home?
If water is running from the base cabinets under the kitchen sink it would be safe to conclude that the source of water intrusion is the sink. However, contrary to this scenario, should flooding occur in an unfinished basement, it'd be difficult to draw a single conclusion as to what the source is.
In many instances (especially those where rainfall totals are high - or large amounts of snow is melting rapidly just outside the building structure) water may enter through a crack somewhere in the foundation. This type of loss is referred to as a "Groundwater loss" in our industry.
Sump pump failure can contribute immensely to these types of losses.
Typically, Groundwater losses are not covered under standard Homeowners Insurance.
TIP: If you have a sump pump in your basement be sure to have a backup power generator in the event you lose power during a Storm. This will keep your sump pump going and may prevent a Groundwater loss!
Hurricane season ends November 30th! Are you prepared?
Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1, 2017 until November 30th. As a leader in damage restoration, we understand the importance of being 'Ready for whatever happens'. Below are some vital bits of information regarding hurricane stages & categories along with tips from our partners at the American Red Cross on how to keep your home and family safe before, during, and after a hurricane.
- Tropical Disturbance (Tropical Wave) Thunderstorms with very little wind circulation.
- Tropical Depression Thunderstorms with increased wind circulation
- Tropical Storm Thunderstorms with sustained maximum winds, intensified to 39-73 mph
- Hurricane Sustained maximum wind speed is 74 mph or greater
Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale:
- Category 1: 74-95 mph - Minimal Damage
- Category 2: 96-110 mph - Moderate Damage
- Category 3: 111-129 mph - Extensive Damage
- Category 4: 130-156 mph - Extreme Damage
- Category 5: 157 mph or more - Catastrophic Damage
Learn how to keep your family safe during a hurricane: Hurricane Safety
...Additional Emergency Supplies
Once you have gathered the supplies for a basic emergency kit, you may want to consider adding the following items:
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Cash or traveler's checks and change
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container.
- Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or free information from this web site.
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted, nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant.
- Fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
CAUTION: Tips on keeping your walkways clean and safe!
Snow covered sidewalk
Keeping your walkways clean and safe this season can prove to be a challenge with family and friends home for the season. That being said, there is a number of things you can do to prevent ice from forming, or to get it to disappear quickly. Follow these simple tips:
- Shovel snow in a timely manner - There is no better way of preventing ice than shoveling your walkways as soon as possible. The longer the snow sits, the higher chance for ice to form.
- Shovel away from your walkway - By shoveling away from your walkway you will prevent melting snow from melting onto your walkways and creating puddles that will eventually turn into ice.
- For temperatures below freezing but above 15 degrees Fahrenheit - Use Rock Salt. Rock salt lowers the freezing point and prevents ice from forming.
- For temperatures below 15 degrees Fahrenheit - Use Calcium Chloride also known as De-Icer. Calcium Chloride also lowers the freezing point but it works until about 0 degrees.
- Sand - Place sand over any slick areas as it helps to creates traction.
Stay safe this Winter & remember, we're always 'Here to Help'!
Protecting your Cats & Dogs during Cold Weather? 5 tips to keep your pets safe!
Keep pets indoors when temperatures drop. Pets are sensitive to extreme cold, which puts them at high risk for hypothermia.
Short haired pets may feel comfortable wearing a sweater & booties when outdoors on walks. When salt & ice melt are applied to icy/snow covered areas, cleaning your pet’s paws & stomach with a warm wet cloth can prevent irritation.
- Limit baths when temperatures are low. Pets are at higher risk of flaky, dry skin.
- Keep your pets away from anti-freeze spills to avoid poisoning.
- Make sure your pets have plenty of food & water during the cold weather months. They burn more energy trying to stay warm.
- Avoid leaving your pets in the car.
- Keep your pets indoors when necessary. Remember, if you’re cold, it’s likely your pet is cold too!
It's officially Hurricane Season! Are you prepared?
The American Red Cross has offered great tips for business & home owners.
Did you know?...Standard homeowners insurance doesn’t cover flooding. It’s important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact the U.S. For more information on flood insurance, please visit the National Flood Insurance Program Web site at www.FloodSmart.gov If your home or buisness suffers a water loss due to flooding don't hesitate. Call us at 860-826-5169.
- Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio (Available on the Red Cross Store) for critical information from the National Weather Service (NWS).
- Check your disaster supplies. Replace or restock as needed.
- Bring in anything that can be picked up by the wind (bicycles, lawn furniture).
- Close your windows, doors and hurricane shutters. If you do not have hurricane shutters, close and board up all windows and doors with plywood.
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting. Keep them closed as much as possible so that food will last longer if the power goes out.
- Turn off propane tank.
- Unplug small appliances.
- Fill your car’s gas tank.
- Create a hurricane evacuation plan with members of your household. Planning and practicing your evacuation plan minimizes confusion and fear during the event.
- Find out about your community’s hurricane response plan. Plan routes to local shelters, register family members with special medical needs and make plans for your pets to be cared for.
- Obey evacuation orders. Avoid flooded roads and washed out bridges.