Faster to ANY disaster!
Did you know that SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain provides Biohazard cleaning services? We’re not your typical water damage & fire restoration company. Our services extend beyond the scope of general cleaning as well.
We are certified and versed to handle various hazardous waste conditions including:
- Blood cleanup/removal
- Animal feces/remains
- Body Fluids
- Unattended death
- Raw sewage removal
- Chemical spills, and more…
Keep in mind that pathogenic substances can be harmful and should be handled by professionals. We service local communities like New Britain, CT and it’s surrounding towns. We also understand that special situations need to be addressed with empathy & respect. For questions regarding our Biohazard services you may contact our office at 860-826-5169 to speak with a member of our staff.
We’re always ‘Here to Help!’
How D A N G E R O U S is Flood Water?
Here’s what you need to know! Standing water has contaminants that can pose health risk to anyone who comes into contact with it. This is not limited to Flood Waters from a Natural Disaster such as a Hurricane, but can include standing water in a basement that has flooded from a burst pipe. Standing water becomes the breeding grounds for infectious organisms that can lead to bacterial & viral diseases. Flood water from major Storms have been known to carry raw sewage and other toxic waste from the ground, yet standing water contains increased levels of bacteria from prolonged contact with organic material while stagnant. Standing water that’s been in direct contact with carpet, insulation and/or drywall for 24 hours is contaminated water. Not to mention mold can grow within 48-72 hours following a flood or water loss. These special situations require professional restoration service.
Local flooding can have a devastating impact on a community. Though, many towns and cities have suffered major damage from natural disasters. In fact the City of Middletown has had several record breaking flooding events throughout the years. Basements tend to receive the bulk of water damage in the aftermath of a natural disaster, as with most flooding scenarios in Central Connecticut.
Our crews responded to recent Storms like Hurricanes Sandy & Irene to help mitigate left over damage to homes that were affected. For the safety of CT Residents, we provide water damage restoration services 24/7. Always avoid contact with contaminated flood water. You should call our professionals for assistance with any of your cleanup needs at 860-826-5169.
We’re always ‘Here to Help!’
Is your business “READY for whatever happens”?
According to the latest research at least 50% of businesses never reopen after experiencing a natural disaster.
As the leader in water damage restoration, our staff is highly trained in property damage mitigation. We understand that lost revenue in business affects productivity. That’s why we’ve established a READY PLAN.
Our SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) was developed to help minimize business interruption after a loss by providing an immediate plan of action. Advantages of this profile include:
- A no cost facility assessment
- A compact Profile Document with important EMERGENCY info
- A help guide to get you back to business
- An official mitigation provider
- A quick reference for details such as shut-valve locations
Why be reactive when you can be proactive? To learn more about setting up an ERP with a member of our staff contact our office at 860-826-5169.
We're 'Here to Help!'
An Ounce Of Prevention: 4 Common Plumbing Problems near Hartford County
These are 4 of the most common plumbing problems linked to potential water & mold issues.
Water Heater Malfunctions Replacing a water heater can be expensive, but regular maintenance can ensure its longevity. It’s always best to contact a professional, reputable company when getting an expensive appliance serviced.
Pipe Leaks Leaky pipes lead to mold. A leaking pipe can go unnoticed for months depending on where the pipe is located. Visual inspections can help avoid a long-term leak, which can possibly restrict mold growth.
Clogged Drains Landlords are often privy to the damage caused by clogged drains. Drains can clog easily when items that are not suitable for flushing/rinsing get disposed of improperly such as grease, solid foods, hair and personal care products. It’s important to keep drains clear of unnecessary debris.
Sewer System Backups If you’ve never experienced a sewage backup, you’re probably not aware of how smelly a situation it is. Getting the source of a sewage back up repaired immediately and properly is crucial. Residents in Middletown, New Britain, Cromwell, Haddam, East Hampton, Kensington, East Haddam, Durham & Berlin Connecticut call our office at 860-826-5169. Our professional staff answers questions about sewage, cross contamination, we even schedule cleanup services.
As with any loss or damage to your property, always review your insurance policy and speak with your agent prior to placing a claim.
We’re always ‘Here to Help!’
TIME IS WINDING DOWN in Middlesex County
A change in outdoor activities is underway as fall approaches. ‘Tis the season for apple picking, fall home décor, jumping in a huge pile of leaves, and “Pumpkin Spice” everything! Two things to be considered during this fast approaching season is the interior maintenance and the exterior maintenance of your home.
Below is a list of things to double check as you prep for the NEW season:
- Do a roof inspection – The condition of a roof is important for various reasons and should not be a last minute maintenance concern. As fall turns to winter common issues such as ice dams can cause significant damage to a home’s interior. Many towns in Central Connecticut such as New Britain, Durham, Berlin, and even towns near the shore like East Haddam suffered ice dam water losses in recent years. Therefore, taking advantage of early fall to make sure a roof is ready to handle the colder seasons is important.
- Clean gutters – Gutter maintenance would be in the top 5 for fall cleanup task. Clogged gutters can become a real pain once weather conditions start to decline mid-season, especially in the North East. As water has no clear path to flow properly, a building becomes the hub for rain water and melting snow & ice. A professional gutter cleaning should keep everything dry and free of unnecessary damage.
- Turn off exterior faucets/spigots – Water can enter a home or business via several sources. One source of water intrusion involving frozen pipes is the classic outdoor faucet. It’s probably the least important item on everyone’s checklist, but has been known to cause significant water damage to basements and low level crawl spaces. By making a list & checking it twice most policy holders will be able to avert this issue.
- Test Furnace/HVAC Efficiency – Having a furnace tested by a professional HVAC tech can save money and possibly save a call to the insurance company. How common is it for CT homes to suffer a furnace puff back between the fall & winter seasons? Very common, in fact our professionals have serviced many homes throughout the State of CT that required soot cleanup from a puff back. However, it’s better to be proactive than to be reactive.
If any of these tips were helpful to you, give us a thumbs up on our FaceBook page!
We’re ‘Here to Help!’
The Calm Before The Storm
Hurricane season is here until the beginning of December. Being prepared during the calm period can extend great benefits. Though, there's no such thing as being too prepared for a natural disaster, we've compiled a list of things you might consider while getting ahead of a Hurricane:
- GPS (If told to evacuate)
- Evacuation plan
- Cell phone with names/numbers of family, friends & Emergency contacts
- Roadside Emergency Kit
- Full tank of gas in your car
- Access to local news/radio outlets
- Flashlights & batteries/Lamps
- First Aid Kit
- Plenty of drinking water
- Disposable plates, cups & eating utensils
- Plenty of non-perishable food
Keep in mind that there are different Categories of Hurricanes and knowing them can be helpful when it comes to damage to your home/business as it relates to insurance coverage. Should your property suffer damage due to a Hurricane do not hesitate to contact our office in Middletown, CT to speak with one of our representatives. (860-826-5169)
We're always 'Here to Help!'
Thank you for your kind hospitality!
We have one rule, and that is to take care of your loss to make it "Like it never even happened." Our crews work around the clock to provide the best possible service to you during your time of need. We understand the stress associated with operating a business, therefore we use state of the art equipment to clean and/or dry your facility fast.
Your guest should never be inconvenienced due to an unforeseen loss. The sooner we can begin mitigation, the quicker the turn around for your clients.
Never let a loss have you at a loss...
When the need arises you can count on us to be there. We even work directly with your insurance company. For a hassle free claims process, call the Team that you can count on! That's SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain! (860) 826-5169.
We're always 'Here to Help'!
Not Enough Power?
One way to prevent a basement from flooding is to install a Sump Pump...right? This seems empirical, but simply having a Sump Pump is not enough. A Sump Pump can fail to perform properly at a moments notice resulting in a flooded basement. Therefore, it is important to make certain your Sump Pump is running and running well.
The main function of a Sump Pump is to prevent excess rain water or ground water from entering a basement or crawlspace by pumping the water away from the structure.
On average Sump Pumps last about 10 years.
Is your Sump Pump working effectively?
A few common factors of Sump Pump Failure include:
- Power loss/outage
- Blocked/frozen discharge pipe
- Bad float switch
- Too much water for the Sump Pump to handle.
Tip: If your home uses a Sump Pump, consider getting it tested regularly, and if you have questions about Sump Pump Failure, do not hesitate to contact us at (860) 826-5169.
We're always 'Here to Help'!
Let us help you on your next Project
As you may know, SERVPRO is a Leader in Fire & Water Cleanup and Restoration, but when it comes to Post Construction Cleanup we also go beyond the scope of conventional cleaning practices.
Trying to clean fine dust particles, soot and all types of debris can be costly & time consuming. For large construction projects our professionals have the equipment & training needed to clean in the most efficient way.
Some of our most recent projects have been:
- Post Construction Cleaning of NEWLY developed Luxury Apartments
- Hotel Renovation Cleanup
- Commercial Soot Cleanup
- Roof Replacement Debris Cleanup
These services extend to residential customers as well. So, when it comes to your cleaning needs, do not hesitate to contact our office to see how we can help. Our direct line is (860) 826-5169.
Are you able to identify the source of water intrusion to your home?
If water is running from the base cabinets under the kitchen sink it would be safe to conclude that the source of water intrusion is the sink. However, contrary to this scenario, should flooding occur in an unfinished basement, it'd be difficult to draw a single conclusion as to what the source is.
In many instances (especially those where rainfall totals are high - or large amounts of snow is melting rapidly just outside the building structure) water may enter through a crack somewhere in the foundation. This type of loss is referred to as a "Groundwater loss" in our industry.
Sump pump failure can contribute immensely to these types of losses.
Typically, Groundwater losses are not covered under standard Homeowners Insurance.
TIP: If you have a sump pump in your basement be sure to have a backup power generator in the event you lose power during a Storm. This will keep your sump pump going and may prevent a Groundwater loss!