Is your home prepped for Winter?
Being prepared for winter weather is essential. Here are a few things to consider before the bitter cold & snow arrive:
- Check for failing shingles
- Drain outside spigots (where pipes can freeze)
- Caulk window gaps
- Switch your screens for storm windows, and seal any drafty windows and doors
- Check for leaks in the attic
- Test your sump pump
- Make sure that paints or any flammable materials are stored away from heat sources in a closed metal cabinet.
- Clean dryer vents & chimney (regularly)
- Have your heating system checked by a licensed heating contractor
- Test and change the batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors
- Organize your garage. Clean and store summer garden tools.
- Check the supports, stairs, and railings on porches & decks.
- Make sure handrails can support someone slipping on snow or ice
*Source: Bob Vila