What is the leading cause of home fires? Are they preventable?
Most home fires occur in the kitchen while cooking (especially during the holidays) and are the leading cause of injuries from fire.
Home fires are preventable! The following are simple steps that each of us can take...
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Wear short, close-fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
- Do not cook if you are sleepy, have been drinking alcohol, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy.
- Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a "kid-free zone" of 3 feet around the stove.
- Position barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from siding and deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.