How to prepare for the Storm!
You can avoid many dangerous weather problems by planning ahead. To prepare for a winter storm you should do the following:
Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit.
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways...
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
- Sufficient heating fuel...Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
It's also good to have a mechanic check the following items on your car:
- Antifreeze levels
- Battery and ignition system
- Exhaust system
- Fuel and air filters
- Heater and defroster
- Lights and flashing hazard lights
- Windshield wiper equipment
- Install good winter tires
Please note: If bad weather is forecast, drive only if absolutely necessary. Make sure your tires have adequate tread. All-weather radials are usually adequate for most winter conditions.