After the Flames go out...The DAMAGING EFFECTS OF FIRE DAMAGE
Some of the biggest challenges associated with fire damage occur after the flames have gone out. The intensity of the heat, and the length of time the fire ran before it was extinguished determines the toxic effects.
Plastics and other synthetic materials can leave behind chemical residues that are harmful if inhaled. Wood smoke, usually the greatest contributor to the amount of smoke in the building, contains gases such as methane, carbon monoxide, benzene, sulfur dioxide and formaldehyde. This is toxic for anyone who inhales the smoke or comes in contact with surfaces harboring smoke residue. Soot and smoke particles have a tendency to settle on carpets, furniture, countertops and walls once the flames disappear. Prior to the flames going out, they will transmit smoke throughout the home, into ductwork, and into wall cavities.
If your home or business sustains fire damage from a loss, the first thing you should do is contact your insurance company. Once, that is done you should call SERVPRO of Middletown/New Britain to come out and assess the damage. We’ll work closely with your insurance company for an easy claim process. You can reach us 24/7 for an Emergency Response at 860-826-5169.